Monday, March 17, 2008

Lewiston Duathlon

The day started bright and early at 4:15am. Not because I needed to get up that early but because I just couldn't sleep any longer-it's that darn "pre-race sleep" (or lack thereof). Laura showed up at my house at 5:50am, we put her bike on the rack and we were off to get Haley. After a Starbucks stop and a mapquest debacle we hit the road with no directions in hand but we'd been there before-how hard could it be?


About an hour into the roadtrip, it started snowing....really snowing. We were all laughing out loud at the fact that the warm weather we were hoping for was disappearing before our eyes. Haley took some pictures out the window as we drove through the snow......


Haley got us there without the need for one turn around. Better than last year WITH directions. We got all ready to race and frankly just wanted to get the darn thing goin. A few minutes after 10am, we hit the pavement. This was a 2 mile run, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run. Just like at the Snake River Half marathon, I had some particular pacing goals in mind. This seems to work well for me and I was able to efficiently execute my plan at this duathlon.

I felt great on the run. One girl passed me within the first 1/4 mile and I ended up passing her before the 1 mile mark. Got into T1, had a smooth transition and was off on the bike. I was hollering at anyone I knew out on the course (that's my favorite thing about local races, seeing familiar faces out on the course and being able to cheer for one another). I saw Haley coming back on the bike as I was still going out. I knew she was the lead woman. Once I got to the turn around, I realized I didn't see any other women behind Haley. That meant I was in second place. I got onto the run and was watching everyone coming back from the turn around. Again, no women behind Haley. I really was in second!

I came in 2nd place and was really happy about that. I had another good race and felt like I paced myself really well yet pushed myself hard at the end even though I wasn't trying to catch anyone.

I was able to go back and run the last little bit with Laura as she came to the finish line. Sam had gone out on the course and found her and was cheering her on too. I was SO proud of her! She gave a great effort and held off the woman that was closing in behind her. She also beat her 'can do' time. Nice job girly! Congrats to Haley on reclaiming her Lewiston title. Here she is getting her lovely trophy.


We had a good time hanging out with friends after and goofing off even though we were freezing our butts off. Congrats to Laura for doing her first race of the season and really pushing it! I am really looking forward to our Wildflower road trip! Congrats also to Michael Berquist for winning for the men, Haley for winning for the women, Sam for getting third overall and winning his age group, and Jen, Francie and Stan all placing in their age groups! Nice work guys. It was a blast to hang out with ya'all! Here's our group shot.

Haley drove my car back so I could eat. Both Laura and Haley had something to eat after the race but I didn't. By the time we waited for awards and got all packed up and hit the road, I was starving. This is a shot of Haley really concentrating on the road and experiencing the "Turbo Volvo Experience".

5 comments:

Trish said...

Way to go Woman! 2nd place is so sweet! I am very proud of you for doing so well, even in the not-so-ideal weather conditions. You are so inspiring to newbies like me. Keep it up friend! You rocked it hard core :) Peace out!

Steve said...

Great job on the race. Sorry the other half of TEAM Superstar didn't show up but we will make a rockin' appearance at the Snake River Tri. Looking forward to training with. Awesome job on 2nd place. You are a "Superstar".

jessithompson said...

Way to go, girl! That is smokin' fast and an amazing finish to boot. Nice work on the goals and stickin' to the plan. It's gonna be a stellar season for you!!!

Tiffany said...

You rock! Congrats on your incredible finish! Looks like you are going to have a fabulous season!

Tim Swanson said...

P-dawg, loved hearing about all the craziness of the day!! And nice work out there on the roads. You kick butt!! Sorry I had to miss out on all the fun, but we'll party at a race again soon!

Timmers