Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Masters Swim

Alright, so Jessi had to bring the camera to the Masters Swim this morning. Here's the thing, I really don't like to blog unless I have pictures. It's not nearly as exciting to read a blog without pictures so why would I post one?

I couldn't seem to keep my tongue in my mouth this morning. That's better than the other picture she got.....

Now it means I've got to make my Masters swim post. Here goes.

Since I started triathlon, the swim has always been the slowest to come along (Jessi was witness to my first laps in the pool 2 years ago and it wasn't pretty). I have said SO many times "I have really got to get faster in the water". Or I've heard "wow, just think of what you could do if you weren't so slow in the water". Believe me, I've thought....and been frustrated. But what it all boils down to is just putting the effort forth and working really hard in the water.

Without re-hashing my last two seasons in triathlon and some pretty funny swim stories, it's just time to work on the swim. Actually, it's time to bust my ass on the swim. Period. After Oceanside I decided that this is the year that I have got to do something different to improve my times. And it just so happened that Kevin Wang was starting his masters swim program the week after Oceanside. Perfect timing. So, I am committed. 5 days a week I drag my rear outta bed at 5am and head to the pool to swim for an hour and a half and then come home, get the boys off to school and do the remainder of my training then. And, it's WELL worth it.

Kevin runs an awesome program and I am so thrilled to be a part of this group. Right now, I am the slowest one there. No kidding. Often, everyone is waiting at the wall for me to finish so we can go on to the next set. More the reason to bust my butt. So there it is. My new favorite workout is no longer speedwork at the track because I like my results, it's Masters Swim with Kevin Wang because I want to have results that I like......it's just going to take some early mornings and a lot of hard work.

Here's J on the block. That could be a song.....Anyway, I told her to hop up there for a picture and was laughing really hard that this is how she thought she should do it. This girl can SWIM and she's standing on the block like, well, like she's doing a yoga pose. Ahhh, good times. Always looking for good entertainment at 5:30am.


Thanks to J.O.T.B for the pics, for inspiring me to push harder in the water......and of course, the entertainment.

Get er' done!



6 comments:

Steve said...

Awesome work, those 5am mornings are so tough. I am sure you will begin to see improvements in no time. After reading both your blogs, it definitely looks like something I should do.

The most important part is that you are willing to put in the hard work it takes to get better. Some people just think getting in the water will make them better, I am guilty of this myself, but it really comes down to the hard work one is willing to put in day in and day out. Great job and sounds like I will be doing my best to chase you down all season.

jessithompson said...

You inspire me to put towards effort even when it gets hard and isn't your favorite. Hence, my track workout today. Thanks for the laughs this morning.

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

crap. I was going to woose out on my club swim tonight. It's cold out there at 8pm, I'm more than the slowest person (I get on my own nerves waiting for me!)and I'm pickin' tired right now. But now that I've read this post, I know I gotta go so thanks...I think :)
xoxo Me

Begin to Breathe said...

You have accomplished so much in such a short time...and I'm glad I have gotten to watch (and hear)how you have progressed from the very beginning. I actually miss your funny swim stories...but I guess that means you're doing pretty good these days. Surely these masters sessions will have you wizzing (not peeing :) by people!!
I think I was one of those people that said..."just think of what you could do if your swim was faster." I think that was at your 1st Olympic distance. You know I meant well...I was blown away at what you were able to do right out of the gate in triathlon! As Shelby said, you are an inspriration and I look forward to what the future holds for you.

xoxox
jess

Michael W. Bergquist said...

5 days/week @ 5 AM! Swim that much/often and you're going to improve a ton. I've never been a fan of swimming either, but had to decide which I liked less: swimming or being left behind. If it makes you feel any better, I'm in there suffering 12 hours after you do every day. You'll be a little dolphin before long. I'm interested to hear how it goes for you.

rr said...

Hiiiii Phaedra! How could I forget you after our fun trip to SD?? So glad to find your blog.. - rachel