Thursday, May 15, 2008

Honu 70.3....the countdown

After coming back from the dead with the "Wildflower stomach flu" I am 100% and counting down to Honu. I couldn't resist sharing my enthusiasm and excitement for this race. It is, by far, my favorite Half Iron event. I'll be flying out in 12 days and on the course, racing in 15 days.

To start, the swim is in Hapuna Bay (pictured below) and it's a mass swim start. In addition to that, it's a no-wetsuit swim. This is one of the reasons I first chose to do this race in 07. Personally, when choosing races, I try to find ones that not only compliment my strengths but I also look for races that challenge me where I'm lacking and make me a little "uncomfortable".


I figure in doing this, I don't rule any races out for dumb reasons like "I'm not a fast swimmer" or "I'm not good in the heat". I like to take these on and see how I come out on the other end and learn from whatever the result is. In addition to that, I feel it puts me in a better position for future races. Sometimes weather changes, water warms up or there's not an accurate course description. The more often you can suffer through tough conditions on tough courses in training and racing, the more natural it will feel in a race whether it's expected or not. Stepping out of your comfort zone only makes you stronger in the end.

Last year, my swim time was 40:11. Yes, folks....that's forty minutes, eleven seconds. But the mass start was harmless, the waves mellow and the scenery incredible! I'll try to focus more on the feet ahead of me this year instead of the colorful little fishies. I plan to see improvement on the swim from last year.....but who knows how much?

In this swim, you have the choice to do a running, beach start or deep water start. Last year I chose the deep water start but personally, I think the beach start is the smarter way to go. That's what I'll do this year.


The bike course goes on part of the Ironman Kona course. It's a nice course, not technical at all but you do have to consider the wind. There's the climb out to Hawi.....more of a rolling elevation gain than a climb. After doing Wildflower, I don't feel like I can call any hill a climb. Nasty grade is a climb. The photo below is the way back which is a refreshing way to do the second half of the bike course but this is also when a side/head-wind seems to kick in. Must stay in aero position and push through it....


Since I was SO far behind everyone else on the swim last year, I passed 305 people on the bike. Having to get through all of these people caused me to go a little hard on the first half of the bike. At one point, I just decided to stand and pass. I didn't want to get caught behind people and there were a lot of "clumps". I'd say I kind of hammered this first half, a lot of it standing. Mistake #1. Must be steady on the bike because the run is a kicker.

The run course is mostly on the Mauna Lani Golf course. It kind of reminded me of a cement roller coaster path at times.....there was a small run across sand but not bad. My mistake here was that I started out hard coming off of a bike time that I was happy with. I was just going to close it up with the run. Not so fast. As things started to go south, I stopped hydrating because in my "idiotic race head" there was no time for this. The run was 11 minutes slower than my slowest half iron run at the time. Must be smart before the race and carry plan through during race. For any of you planning on doing this race, I would strongly recommend a strict nutrition and hydration plan before the race that is followed strictly during the race. This is a tough run course and it's hot out there. There's not a whole lot of room for being under-hydrated or low on calories.

After this difficult race, it was really fun to come through the finish line and just "be" in Hawaii. The grounds of the resort are beautiful and there's no better place to revel in your accomplishment. There's even Hula dancers! I'll admit, these aren't as good as the naked people (that weren't even there!!!) at Wildflower.....but still pretty cool. Last year I spent the day after the race, laying in the sun. I burnt my backside SO bad, the red-eye home that night was less than comfortable. I will wear sunscreen this time but still lounge by the ocean the day after the race and take it all in.

I'd recommend this race to anyone who wants to do a half. It is an incredible experience to say the least. I'm counting down the days.....

6 comments:

jessithompson said...

I think it's so smart to think through your plan and what you learned last time. I admire you for that and will be sending you lots of speedy thoughts.

You have the tools, the training, the discipline, the athleticism, the talent, the experience... YOU GO GIRL!

rr said...

Can't wait to see you there! It's going to be so fun.. I'll be cheering you on through that crazy flower-shaped run!

Trish said...

P! What a great idea to "have" to fly to Hawaii for a race! I love that you have chosen to do one there :) It is so inspiring the way that you take on any race with the mindset that you will learn from it for next time. What a great way to look at racing! I know that you will do amazing, and that you will come back with a killer tan! I know I will be jealous! Good luck on the race and I can't WAIT to hear about your improvements!

Steve said...

Finally we will be racing on the same day. To bad we will be 1000 miles apart. But I know Team Superstahh will wee rockin that day and I can't wait to hear about your race. Good luck and say hi to Nemo if you see him.

Michael W. Bergquist said...

That was an interesting read on how you talked yourself through this years race from last year's mistakes. I'm looking forward to seeing how the swim goes after all the hard work. That swim start looks crazy scary.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, Hapuna Beach, lucky girl, P! I spent some time there last year and I have to admit I am jealous you get to go, but I will send you fast thoughts anyway! Seriously, I hope you have a wonderful trip and race and come back unburned and satisfied with your performance. Rock it!

Nat