Monday, May 19, 2008

Spring Thaw Duathlon Series, Part 2


Sunday was the second installment of the duathlon series in 9 mile Falls. The distance was a little longer than the previous ones. 3.3 mile trail run, 22 mile bike, 3.3 mile trail run.

I am proud to say, I was the first one there. I'm not kidding. Haley can attest to my desire to get to races REALLY early. Cody was out of town so our lovely babysitter arrived at 6:30am. I was able to swing thru my trusty Starbucks and was racking my bike in transition at 6:55. Atta girl.

Eve showed up not long after I did and it was nice to have some company. We picked her a real nice transition spot and I joined her when she went over to pick up her number and swag bag. Then, we had an hour and a half to do absolutely nothing. I don't mind this. I like walking around with my tunes on and stopping and chatting. It's nice to be at a race where I actually know the participants. It's good time to catch up.

After Eve pulled a geriatric move and fell while warming up (seriously).....we were off to the start line. Eve looked tough with blood dripping down her leg and some weeds in her shorts. I just stood next to her looking jittery. We talked about paces and I decided that Eve was a good carrot. I have to admit, I was quite nervous before the start. I'd say more nervous than Oceanside.....and Wildflower. I am learning this is a good sign. When I'm not nervous, bad sign.

Countdown...and it's time to go. And, there goes my carrot. By the first lap, I could no longer see Eve. There are a lot of trees, maybe she's not that far ahead. Hm.

I had a solid first run, I went a little bit conservative but I'd never done this distance so I didn't want to blow it on the first run.

Got on the bike and within a mile, I saw Eve pulling over on the side of the road, rubbing her butt cheek. I checked in with her (didn't slow down or stop, just yelled "you alright?"), she thought maybe she hurt her hip in that Rambo warm up. So I kept going. Since she was upright and not visibly crumbling, my conscience was put at ease. This is the Spring Thaw Duathlon after all. I knew I wasn't going to catch Haley unless one of her wheels fell off so I decided to look for some boys to chase.

Out on the bike course, Roger, Matt, Jessie & Jessi cheered and at the same time, Jessi hung out the window and risked her life to get the "good shots" (all photos here were taken by her). It was so nice to have some fans. It was also nice to have someone taking pictures of me. Although, I might take that back after seeing this shot.

Seriously, I'm not that scary in real life and I DO look like a girl when not yelling like a caveman. But I had to give a shout out to them. They were doing such a great job! Thanks also to Nat & Greg for cheering.

Here I am rounding the last corner of the last lap.

I had a good day. Placed 2nd overall (1st amateur) behind Miss Zooty Pants and won my age group.

8 comments:

Trish said...

Congrats on winning your age group friend! You are one fast lady! I LOVE that you show up so stinkin' early for races :) First one there is ALWAYS a good sign! I miss seeing you and hope to see you at the meeting Wednesday! We have LOTS to talk about...if you catch my drift... :)

Michael W. Bergquist said...

I like your crazy poses. It makes racing look like fun, but I know better. Your time was a pretty impressive improvement over the first race. You're going to have a great season.

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

great pics!

Tiffany said...

Kick ass race, woman! You are wicked fast! :) I LOVE that shot of you on the bike. Look at how buff you are! Hot!

jessithompson said...

Great race, P. Dizzle! It was fun watching you out there ripping it up and takin' names. You are very talented (aside from fast) and I loved taking pictures! Gonna be a kick ass season for you, Speedy!

Matt said...

great work out there phaedra. We had a hard time keepin up w/ you on the bike..

Steve said...

Great to see you out there enjoying the race. Way to come in second overall that is awesome. There is always room for a good cheer on the bike. Can't wait til we get to race together.

rr said...

Wahoooo! You have billions of fans, Phaedra! Congrats on the awesome race and placing.

Plus you look really good while racing. How do you do that? I always look like death.