Friday, December 26, 2008

The Shoes That Will Take Me Anywhere


It hasn't stopped snowing for days. Seriously. I've been getting the running done on the treadmill but I'm tired of staring at that little piece of spackle on the wall all the while trying to stay motivated. I love running but I hate the treadmill. So today, I ventured out into Narnia dodging clueless drivers and snowplows. When is it that it'll occur to the motorists out there that I'm not waving at them to be friendly, I'm waving so they will see me and maybe, just maybe move over a bit. One man made sure to wave back excitedly, all the while leaning on the wheel and actually steering towards me! I think he got close enough to see the terrified look on my face.

I ran through a neighborhood where the snow was so deep it was hard to get a forward motion going.......I came upon two cross country skiers and made sure my pace was faster than theirs-it was a close match but I was pleased to finally pass them and kick a little snow their way.......it was then that I realized they were elderly.

I'm not sure if this can be considered a workout. And at times, the dance I was doing out there couldn't quite be considered running but it felt good. I "ran" for an hour which was what I wanted to do.

I'm grateful for a beautiful place to run, the ability to do so and these shoes that will take me anywhere, even if at a granny pace.

4 comments:

jessithompson said...

Ran out at Medical Lake last weekend and was struck by how slow the pace was and inversely how high the effort. Even though I'm not sure how much it actually resembles 'running' - it's a great workout for sure. Way to get out there, beeatch! XOXO

rr said...

You girls are crazy running in that stuff! I would be on a treadie fo sho.

You're a stud. I hope it was such a happy Christmas for you.. here's to a really, really rocking new year for you, PC!

Matt said...

way to brave it out in Narnia, that darn white witch is watching...I feel ya on hating the TM..

Meredith said...

I LOVE YAKTRAX...so much that I blogged about them a week ago!!