Monday, December 29, 2008

Bread From the Sky

I woke up this morning to more snowfall and laughed out loud. It's beautiful and I do love it, I just can't believe it keeps on falling. I resigned to the fact that I'd be running on the treadmill this morning since it had rained the night before and it was probably pretty icy. But then I went out to get a coffee and drove by this guy running in the snow, falling all over the place and squinting because he could barely see. I said to myself "now that looks like fun" or maybe it was a little "if HE can do that then so can I!" So I bagged the treadmill and got suited up to run out in the snow. Here's how the hill looked when I started my run.

As I started to run, I realized that this was going to be a doozy. The snow was really falling and the snowflakes were huge! The only thing I can liken the snowflakes to is crusts of bread. But it was breathtaking. I ended up pulling my beanie over my eyes a bit just to keep the snowflakes from finding their way to my eyeballs. The downside to this plan wasn't only that I couldn't see but I looked like a total idiot. However, it was effective.

So I ended up running for an hour. The temperature was actually quite nice-right around 30 and there weren't too many cars out. It was interesting at times, trying to find my footing with all of the frozen ice under the snow but it was a fun challenge and WAY better than the treadmill.

Here's my feet as I stood on the porch after my run. My ankles were a little cold. Notice the chunks of snow tucked in between my shoes and pants.

I ended the day with a club trainer ride at the Thompson's house with friends and soup. Good stuff.

I am grateful for good friends and the peace that running brings. Who wants to run tomorrow?

6 comments:

Steve said...

Nice work, getting out there in that crap. It is absolutely crazy seeing all that snow. Can't wait to get back and go for a run with ya.

M-Dot said...

Way to get out in the junky snowy mess. Sounds like fun. Hope you have a great day.

Michelle

Spokane Al said...

I was out there running yesterday morning as well. And it was a good one. I hope we have many, many more.

Happy New Year!

Tiffany said...

You are hard core, I'll give you that! I'm glad the snow makes you laugh...it's beginning to make me want to cry!!!

Michael W. Bergquist said...

Keep it up Phaedra. Where's the pic showing your frozen eye brows and lashes? We're supposed to get snowed on again on the first day of the year. How fun!

BreeWee said...

Holy crap! You are the most brave woman I know... WAY to run woman! HOPE your 2009 is amazing in ALL ways you can think of!!