Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Routine

Closing in on the second week of school and practice, I've developed a routine. The consistency of my routine seems to calm me but I still get a little choked up once in a while.

Wake up, get ready, make kids breakfast, pack their lunches (keep forgetting to pack my own), try to scarf breakfast down while Hayden bounces around the kitchen trying to make me laugh (he has a high rate of success) and Tabor reads "facts about animals" to me (I think he is trying to contribute to my education). Get out the door and drop the boys off at school.

Once the car is quiet, I put on "Suite for Solo Cello no. 1 in G major". I play this a few times and I think it is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. It reminds me of the beauty in things that are unpredictable or uncontrollable and how often, the things in our life that we don't predict are the most appreciated. After my cello song, I go on to a little Tracy Chapman or other random artist so I can belt out the notes. Get to school, drive around for 40 minutes looking for a parking spot (although lately I've gone right for the far away spot and saved a lot of time and find it's not that far after all). I spend the day running from class to class and then after that, running some more.

Today, we did our first round of speedwork on the track in the 30 degree weather and I got my rear handed to me. These girls are fast and this was just the first time. I made the rookie mistake of trying to keep up with them on the sprints and by #6 (out of 16) I was cooked. I thought I tasted blood in the back of my throat. I've heard people speak of this sensation but never experienced it until today. It was hard-much harder than I expected. My coach told me that I lean back when I sprint. I guess that's not what you're supposed to do when trying to propel your body forward chasing little girls with cheetah legs and lungs the size of garbage bags. I finished all 16 sprints wandering aimlessly looking for my left lung I dropped on the track-where's the guy with the scalpel? Open up my trachea so I can breath! And that was what coach called an "introduction" to speedwork. uh huh. You mean it doesn't get easier from here? In good time is what they say. In blood, sweat and tears is what I say. But I've already tasted the blood and it's not so bad.

Back again tomorrow.

I am grateful for hard work, it makes the easy days that much better.

6 comments:

Priscilla Buttson Peterson said...

Beautiful!

M-Dot said...

A new mantra for you....
The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of regret weighs tons... Mark Becker

Phedra, good job hon.. You are making such a good impression for your little keebler's.
Hint that took me forever to get down while you cook dinner and if you have leftovers after serving things or just before make your lubch first, than while you cook breakfast have your boys do it. They'll think it's such great fun and it will make them feel special as you gush over how much they are helping you.. Bonding in the kitchen a right for all mother's and son's.
Some of the best talks I've had with my son 1). In the car while I taught him to drive. *so I could concentrate on his talking and not mention he was too close to the yellow or white line 2). In the kitchen making meals.

I'm so impressed with your efforts too. Now you know how I feel running with people like you ad Jessi ;) You speed demon. or is that bad if you feel slow?????

Smile huney it's another day!!

Michelle

M-Dot said...

ok I'm a little wiped so I'll clarify the post ll... Phedra
That's you spelled wrong
'cause I's a collage studant"!
lubch is what you have between breakfast and dinner not breakfast and lunch...
Have them do it... Ok that would be make their own lunch, let them make choices about good foods for their meals and solidify what tri-fusion kids has taught them.

Ok I think that works oh btw here's a tissue just in case you're laughing at me... Cause I did:)

Michelle

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

Tell your coach you were raised in CA hence the laid back running style.
"I guess that's not what you're supposed to do when trying to propel your body forward chasing little girls with cheetah legs and lungs the size of garbage bags. I finished all 16 sprints wandering aimlessly looking for my left lung I dropped on the track-where's the guy with the scalpel? Open up my trachea so I can breath!"
Hysterical!

Michael W. Bergquist said...

Joining the speedy youngsters eh? Sounds like an excellent idea. I need to do that too.

Tiffany said...

That's quite the routine you've got going there, lady! And tasting blood? I say that's hard core for sure! Way to push yourself!