Sunday, January 11, 2009

Week One-DOWN

I survived my first week of school and track (well, practically.....Monday was a snow day).

I learned some Algebra, memorized some biology words-n-stuff and even wrote an in-class essay! Who knew?

I have to share a bit about track.....considering this IS a triathlon/running blog. Day #2 consisted of running with some of the group and dodging snowballs and bodies being flung around me. Boys are hard on eachother. Entertaining nonetheless. I felt right at home :)

Everyone has been accepting of the old lady on the team. My coach told me to bring my boys to practice on Saturday morning because he brings his kids and that's one more day of practice that I can train with the team. We ended up working out in the pool on Friday and Saturday in a manner I'm not accustomed. No goggles required....although I could have used them because of the splashing that was happening between the boys (seriously). I was SO tempted to show up with my swim cap, goggles and zoomers on and just sit at the side of the pool kickin' my feet. But I thought I'd break em' in easy....they still aren't sure what to do with me.

We played some water polo (which I totally sucked at, I felt more like a buoy bobbing, watching the ball fly back and forth. So I worked on my water treading skills and fantasized about being able to score a goal (which will never happen-that's why I'm a triathlete). No points for me on that front.

Coach told me to run today and again tomorrow. I went out and had a good solid run today that felt as close to perfect as I could have asked for. Since my lupus diagnosis, starting the meds and going off of the meds, my runs haven't felt super or fast. I decided that I could manage my symptoms by taking really good care of myself. After the disastrous marathon, both my doctor and I agreed that the meds were probably hurting my athletic performance more than helping. But today, the chorus was at full volume and I was reminded why I love to run. I feel like the old me is coming back, rearing her little head and I'm excited, really excited. Next week it's time to get my swim back on and throw in some trainer rides. The next month is going to be all about balance.....a fine delicate balance.

I am grateful for running. How it has changed my life, what it does for my health, how it makes me feel and the opportunities this simple, physical act has presented me. Good stuff. I still have a long way to run but I am, most definitely, enjoying the journey.

7 comments:

Eileen Swanson said...

SO glad you are feeling better and better while running! That's great! Congrats on conquering your first week of school!

E

Steve said...

Glad to hear you survived the first week. Never easy. Sounds like this track think might be kind of fun, hopefully it continues.

Glad to hear you are feeling better and getting back to your ole self.

Remember we need to schedule that run, SOON. Before you get to good:)

M-Dot said...

Yeah!!!

Week one down, sounds like water polo would be interesting... Hmm.... I wonder if they would add that to the small indoor sprint swims. Make it a team challenge. ehhh...
Keep up the good work. Glad you are feeling stronger.

M & J

Roger Thompson said...

I went for a run on Sunday and walked up a hill. And I was not taking and college classes either. Tell me more about this waterpolo thing.

Way to go,
Roger

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

You are a stud.

Michael W. Bergquist said...

Sounds like you're starting the year off well. I hope it gets better and better.

Haley Cooper-Scott said...

Yay yay yay yay yay. That's all. I miss you!