Monday, January 5, 2009

Taking on the New Year with Kids, School, Track and Team Timex

My first day of school and track was canceled on Monday but today, the week officially started.

After a sub par night of sleep (I think I was a little excited), Shelby and I got ready and headed out for school (she came along for the ride for the ENTIRE day and just waited outside my classes.) I had a moment in the car when it all just hit me (this happens periodically) and I got a little choked up. This adventure I'm embarking on is all so big and wonderful....that once in a while, I'm overcome by the greatness of it all. I'm excited, I'm overwhelmed and plum full of anticipation for what is to come. Of course when I get choked up, Shelby follows. So we laughed and cried and had a good long ride to school. After driving around the "off-road-ice" parking lot for 50 minutes, we were able to kidnap a cute young lady and take her to her parking spot. Task #1 completed. Here's me with my backpack on, behind the Subaru.


English 101 was my first class of the day. Notice that bright pink slip outside on the wall? Yeah, that's telling me that there's been a classroom change. Neither Shelby nor I read that because we were too busy with our photo shoot. Since I'm a sharp girl and I had my "thinking cap" on, I picked up on it shortly after and jetted to the other building. Good thing I got the Northface backpack so everyone will be able to see me in the dark.

As you all know, I'm very soft-spoken. So, I had to tell Shelby to keep it down while walking through the halls.

After English, Math and Biology, it was time to meet the track team. We met up in a classroom before running. I can say with confidence, I am, by far, the oldest member of the team (by a good 15 years). I was getting some looks, I'm sure they were wondering if I was the new coach or someones mother. I wanted to blurt out "I'm the team mom! I'll have cookies and cold remedies for you next week...and wear sunscreen!". But I just listened and was quiet (shocker, I know). We had a choice to run outside on the ice or on the treadmill. I chose the treadmill because it had a better view than my wall at home and I'd been walking through puddles all day.

I can honestly say, it was a really fun day. When I got home, Shelby made me do my homework and the boys were sincerely interested in helping me. When Tabor saw my biology book, he told me I could borrow his biology books too. Weird reversal of roles....but in a good way.

This great day was preceded by the news that I am now a member of the Timex Multisport Team. Throughout this year I have met several members of this team and am inspired by the people they are and their athleticism. I am SO honored to be a part of this team and look forward to a great experience.

I am grateful for the people in my life who inspire me, love me for who I am and remind me that life is about embracing the moment and seeing every moment for the gift that it is. LET'S DO IT!!!

p.s. I love my brother!



11 comments:

Jen said...

A little quote from a kid movie...and I love it.

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

You're amazing and I wish you all the best with track, Timex, and life!!!

XOXO

Josh said...

I am glad your first day went well! That is so sweet that you are on team Timex! Orange is my favorite color, and team Timex looks like one of the coolest teams around. You are an inspiration to us all.

Steve said...

Congrats on surviving your first day of school. It seems so different but this is definitely the begin of a exciting, tough and crazy journey. Got any cute college friends yet:)

Also congratulations on Timex, that is a awesome accomplishment and it will be an exciting year.

Hope to see you soon.

Steve

M-Dot said...

I am SO EXCITED for you! Congrats on Team Timex!!!! How cool.
You are a real tough cookie k.e. Keep up the good fight. No wonder you're selling your bike.
Hope things are good. If you need help with your science stuff let Jay and I know.
He A'cd all his sci. classes. He's a brainiac...
Any way Enjoy, what an exciting time.

Michelle

Matt said...

congrats, sounds like everything is falling into place for ya! That Trek maybe too fast for ya though..jk. I hear there is another member in spokane too. Good luck with track and school, hope to see you around school

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

I am behind on blog post. So what a treat to see that you have a couple out there.

I love how you all missed the sign. Hey when you are excited your excited. I can't wait to hear how school progresses for you. As always, you are a wonder woman.

Roger Thompson said...

Congrats on everything great in your life right now. I think you have such an advantage at school right now...you actually want to go. Don't know if I ever felt like that for the first 4 years. Probably wasted those which would explain why I was on academic probation my first quarter. Good use of my time.

Also a huge congrats on becoming a member of TIMEX. It's been one of the greatest things that I have been a part of that has truly inspired me as an athlete. I hope it inspires you too and you learn new things about yourself. Congrats! I am glad you let it out of the bag...now I can too :)

The best to you,
Roger

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

P~ I loved sharing your first day of school with you and can't wait to share your last day, either. It's a long, tough journey but that day will come so just enjoy the process -easier said than done when you're as impatient as we are!
You've always been good at embracing your moments and have never let other people's opinions deter you from following your heart-even when those opinions may have hurt your feelings at times. So many people make choices based on what other people think and you, my friend, make choices that feel right for you and your kids and appeal to your sense of life as adventure. I love that about you. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone that can shake it off and stay their course as well as you can. It’s impressive.
Cheers to you and the boys, the pursuit of higher learning, and of course, congratulations on the Timex slot. They're smart to slap their label on your person! You’re a great athlete with some unique challenges and an awesome ambassador of products being the people loving, gear geek that you are. Soak it up and just think of all the characters you’re going to meet along the way. Fun!
But just so as you know…I’m gunnin’ for you now. ;) I just fattened up before I came to throw you off.
Love you tons and I’m gonna miss you guys!
S

ps I had A LOT of coffee. Was that too long?!

Eileen Swanson said...

You are so cute, love the backpack, I carry one around and people tell me I look 10 ;-) HAHA! Glad it went well! Still need tips on track? Would love to help ;-)

Ali Ty Stitt said...

Congratulations on all your achievements! Looks like you have a lot to be successful with and keep you busy for the New year! Best Wishes in everything!

Kim said...

Thinking of you Phaedra...you can do anything you set your mind to. Go for it girl!