Saturday, May 16, 2009

Timex Camp


I thought this topic deserved a separate post. Even though camp was over a month ago. I arrived on Thursday night and Shelby picked me up and Haley was already there. Rachel arrived later that night. The craziness began. Friday, we went over to the expo so the girls could pick up their packets. I was registered for this race (it's a half iron) but because I was focusing on speed and track through the winter I decided I wouldn't be ready for a half this early. Not to mention, I ended up injured anyway. Shelby and I went over to the Timex set up at the hotel and I picked up my HUGE gear bag full of all kinds of goodies. I also met my new, orange TREK equinox: his name is El Torito. Here's me being a total geek with as much gear as I could get on. Notice my "time pieces".


I have no words. The helmet says it all. This is Haley and Shelby...being themselves. This is after the ceremonial dance routine they performed for me which was choreographed before I got there. NICE.

Here's Rach wearing her Obama shirt and trying on her swimcap.

Saturday morning came quickly as Shelby and I were volunteer body markers for the race. It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it. We had to arrive at the race at 4am. Brutal. Here I am placing Haley's "P" for pro on the wrong calf. woops. It was early, I was tired and Haley likes to be different. At least that's what I told myself.

Some other "spokanites" showed up to race. From left to right, Matt, Craig, me and Erika. I'm glad I got to send off some friends from home with some expertly placed digits.



Here's Trevor, getting ready to rock his first half ironman. And he did. woop woop! I know I look like I'm 300 lbs but it's just because I had about 4 layers on. Well, and I've been grounded from running as well.

This is after the race. Danielle, Ben, me, Shelby and Haley. Good times. The waitress thought Ben was THE Ben Harper when she saw his credit card (obviously she hasn't ever seen the real one) and she just kept bringing free sake. Bottle after bottle. hilarious. There was something else that happened which is a little foggy but I think one of us peed our pants in the parking lot. It wasn't me. Good times. Just trying to represent.

Once the race was over, it was time to check in at camp. Rachel and I roomed together which was good entertainment. The keebler and the 6ft bombshell. We stayed in a very nice hotel with a beautiful pool and the bar was the same one Shelby and I got everyone kicked out of last year. It was surely just a misunderstanding. It was a simple test of brute strength...just trying to seperate the men from the boys with a barstool swinging contest. For some reason, the management thought it was unsafe. They didn't understand that these were professional strong people. Albeit gullable show-offs...but strong. They let us back in this year with no mention. I think they realized the entertainment far outweighed the risk. Just for the record, the original incident was Shelby's idea (shocker) and I just encouraged them.

Below: Dan & Paul from Lifesport, Shelby, Andrew, me and Haley with the demon eyes. These photos are never good taken with a blackberry but they are necessary.


We spent the days meeting and learning good information about our sponsors. I was especially impressed with the benefits of Trigger Point. I lack patience and am horrible at stretching but this is right up my alley. It's important to hydrate your muscles but also "kneed" the muscles to keep them soft and supple and in good working shape. I'm in fo sho...and have my own little kit at home. LOVE IT.

A few of us were asked to do a photo shoot for Timex. What?? LOL. I just do what I'm told and love every minute. We had a blast and the below photos were taken after the photo shoot. They are my favorite. Here's Ian and I doing a ballerina lift. Well, he's doing the lifting and I'm faking the ballerina-ing. I was reminded once again why mom pulled me out of ballet in kindergarten.

Here's me and Alex going for a running high-5 although Alex got caught up in the moment and went for the finish line shot. I felt totally dissed.

This is my favorite shot though. This is me and Ian doing a running high-5 and he actually hit my hand. Good times.
Camp was a blast. We have an incredible team and I'm blown away by our sponsors. Here are just a few below:

Timex, Trek, Bontrager, Sram, Sugoi, Nathan, Training Peaks, Power Breathe, Trigger Point, PowerBar, GAIAM, Aqua Sphere, Rudy Project, Headsweats, CycleOps, Nuun

I am so grateful to be a part of Team Timex.


.

No comments: