Saturday, May 16, 2009

What I've been up to

I know, I know, I've fallen off the blogging. I hope there's still a reader out there. It's been a roller coaster ride since my coach passed away. This is going to be a long one so pull up a comfy chair and something to eat. I finally moved out of the house into a cute little place by a giant park and the boys love it. It's the first time in my life I've had my "own" place. I don't even get scared at night and I sleep like a rock. Who knew? Here is a picture my dad took of me and the boys on our new front porch. Tabor on the left, Hayden on the right. These boys take good care of their mom.


March and April were tremendously stressful and I ended up with a whopper Lupus flair up. I had finals, moving and a knee injury all come together in a perfect storm. But quite honestly, I love storms. I love the dark clouds rolling in, the drastic change in temperature, the cracking of thunder and wind that sounds like it will pull the roof off. All the while trusting I'll be just fine. I've always been like this. I think in life, I enjoy enduring storms to prove that I can make it through anything. It's a confirmation of survival. This is not to say I like drama, it's quite the opposite. But I believe there is beauty in challenge, in fear: not knowing but getting through all of that with my head high. I sometimes wonder if I do this purposely to test myself. Now, let's see here...how much can I put on my plate before I explode? But I can honestly say, I love my life. I love that I'm struggling to pay the cable bill but keep cable for the kids (because I never watch it), I love that I often eat scrambled eggs for dinner because that's all I can afford and I love that my boys love me for who I am and how I love them. This is the life I want for myself and the journey is incredibly rewarding. And someday, I will be done with school and be a real-live grown up! Well, kind of.

I made the honor roll for the first time in my life and got a cheezy certificate in the mail the other day. I might just frame it. I actually laughed out loud when I opened it. Shocker, I know. It's an "honor" quite literally and I am grateful to be recognized for my efforts. But, for some reason, I found it humorous that an honor roll certificate actually had my name on it. I was never a good student growing up, making friends was way more important at the time. To add to the excitement, I have decided not to go into nursing. A friend told me that the average person changes their mind 7 times while in college. That made me feel better. I am really trying to be smart about what direction I go. I need to follow my passion. I have great interest in medicine but also have tremendous passion for health, activity and nutrition as well as the affect that has on others. But I also need to make enough money to support two kids and not be working all of the time. So, at this point, I'm clueless. All I know is that I want a Bachelors in something and not be in school for longer than 4 years. Please feel free to share any thoughts or suggestions. What am I going to be when I grow up???

I had to forfeit running track for the remainder of the season because of my knee injury. However, due to my change in school plans, I will be staying at the local community college next year and running cross country in the fall as well as track in the winter/spring. I'm especially excited to run cross country, that's my favorite type of running! I'll still be dropping lungs left and right while training with the wrinkle free, dewey-skinned, invincible girls with lungs the size of garbage bags and asses you can bounce quarters off of. And you wonder why I'm motivated?

The knee surgery has delayed the start of my triathlon season and I'm disappointed that all that speed I was gaining has now been lost due to a 6 week running hiatus. Once again, I am reminded of how grateful I am to have the ability to do the things I love; this is only temporary.

I plan to be up and racing by late June. More to come...

6 comments:

robyn said...

I think you should become a teacher. You've always been a teacher. Get a degree on what you already have a passion for...then get paid for it!

rr said...

She's back! Ok, I agree with Robyn that you would be a rocking teacher.. but what about a physical therapist? I always think them people have bad ass jobs.

Quick recovery, P-goddess.

Suzanne M. Jones said...

Great posts! I have to agree... teacher (esp college) would be great for you... you would be great and the pay would be good and then you are on the same schedule as the boys.

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

Play the lotto. Become independently weathly then you can dabble in whatever you want! That's my plan. I have to say so far it's not quiet working out for me but I have hope, I am not a quitter!

You will have the support of many in whatever it is you choose.

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

Ummm, I'd like to chime in on the teacher ideas....NO. Kelli is on to something, though lol
Love all the updates!
I-can't-wait- to-get-there!
xoxo,
S

M-Dot said...

dittoo on Robyns comment. You would be great at it. Not to mention inspiring a whole new group of athletes; ) Your enthusiasim is infectious and you can be direct at the sametime good combination.
Glad to see you are enjoy'n life and hope you are feeling well.