Sunday, September 20, 2009

What it looks like to get dropped by...

I'm considering temporarily changing the name of this blog to "What it looks like to get dropped by _____".  Here's what it looks like to get dropped by Sam:


But let's start from the beginning.  Sam told me he had an easy 2 hour ride to do in Coeur D'Alene.  When my friends who are in stellar shape tell me they have an "easy day", what that translates to for me is "maybe I can hang on for dear life to keep up".  And I'm always game for that.

I awoke Thursday morning to rain pouring outside.  It was such a cozy feeling to be in my big, warm bed while hearing the rain falling outside.  Then it occurred to me that I was meeting Sam in Coeur D'Alene to ride.  Crap.  I texted Sam and said "it's raining".  His response included calling me a pussy and that I should "nut up".  Being so confused by the references to body parts, some of which I don't actually possess, I figured I'd better just "nut up".  When I arrived in Coeur D'Alene, this is what it looked like:


Then I really started to feel like a wimp or the small feline he referenced when I saw Sam was out there in the lake swimming.  I took a picture but it's hard to see him.  He's the small spec off-center in the picture below.


He got ready and as we were heading out on our ride, he said "I have some intervals to do".  Oh great.  So much for hanging on for dear life.  He dropped me at the first hill we hit and that was during the warm up. Here he is, waiting for me again.
 


I had some nice quality time with myself as Sam shot off like a rocket for his intervals.  I actually laughed out loud at how quickly he was out of sight.  But Turbo always came back around to get me and it actually ended up being a beautiful day and a really fun ride.  After his intervals, Sam slowed the pace so I could hop on his wheel and I did hang on for dear life!  I got that giddy feeling in my stomach, a reminder of one of the many reasons I love to ride.  I've still got a long way to go, but I feel like I am slowly but surely pulling away from that cloud hanging over my head and coming into the warm sunshine, promising me more warmth if I just keep on going.

I am grateful for the journey, the reminder that health and fitness are gifts to be coddled and savored.  And I'm grateful for what lay ahead.  I've had a small taste of what lies on the other side of commitment, hard work, early mornings and humiliating, vomit inducing training sessions...and that is what drives me, keeps me focused even when it seems like I'll never get there.  A friend shared a quote with me today by Tim Timmons, "celebration is empty without desperation".  I like it and I believe it to be true.

2 comments:

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

Sam rules and perspective is everything. I needed him to be on a big wheel to have any chance of sucking off him! SO happy to see you playing again...

tak2lmt said...

Padra, you rock! You have just taken a side road and you will be back on the main road soon. FYI- I was trying to drop you at the end but you just stayed there. Thanks for the fun.