Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Keep on movin'

It's been a busy week of training and playing. Last Monday, Laura and I reunited on the trail for our first run together in quite some time. I've resumed using a hydration belt while running. I gave those up for a while, trying to adjust to running with little or no water like the young pups I run with. Not a good idea. I'm old and I require constant hydration. Nathan makes the one I'm wearing in the below photo. It's called 'Speed 2' and I will not run without it now. Even on a 30 minute run, I take it. It carries my Blackberry in the front pouch with room for an ipod and even a few gels. It doesn't slip around or ride up on me, it doesn't get hot on my back and I can get the bottles in and out with one hand. Nothing compares. Check em out. Now, back to my story...

I told Laura she didn't look like she was running in this picture but she does look hot. I love running with Laura. I can honestly say, some of my most memorable training runs have been done with her by my side.

It was a chilly yet beautiful morning. Not to mention, Laura had chocolate milk to share when we were done, a to-go bag of home grown tomatoes, plus some honey just for me. Score!

The next day, I went for a bike ride with Annie. Annie always seems to have these crazy interval rides. Maybe that's why she's so fast. I figured in my current state of fitness, I'd just hang on to her wheel for dear life during these efforts and hope for the best. The first 10 minute interval, I hung on and didn't die! YA BABY! 5 more to go, this is fun. Um, so the second one didn't go as well. As we came around a bend, a head wind hit me and girth-challenged-Annie didn't do her job of blocking the wind. As she pulled away, I quickly realized there was no chance of catching back up. As the all-too-familiar feeling of dropping a lung overcame me, I looked up and noticed what a beautiful sight lay ahead. So I got real, slowed down, and pulled my phone out to snap a couple of shots. Might as well get a good picture in the midst of my humiliation to share the beautiful sight of just what it looks like to get dropped by Annie.


I made it through the rest of the ride, watching Annie out in the distance and checking in between intervals. But once again, it was a beautiful day with great company. I am grateful for my friends who have been generous with their training time to pull me along when it'd be easier to leave me at home. I'll get it back, I know I will. In the meantime, it's nice to play with my friends, who I miss, on the big-kids' playground. Even if I can't reach the monkey bars, catch a ball to save my life or dodge even the smallest, slowest ball, I'm out there! And this is only temporary. Patience. Patience. Patience.

1 comment:

Laura and company said...

I love running with you too, friend. Looking forward to some more cool fall morning trail runs, with lots of stump jumping and rock hopping.