Sunday, October 25, 2009

A 5k, Chic Time and a Monster Dash

The school week ended with a math and a physics test and the weekend began with my first cross country 5k with the team.  It was time.  We left the campus at 7am, Saturday morning, and I was able to watch the sunrise on the way.  Have I mentioned what a beautiful place we live in?  A huge grin found comfort on my face early in the drive and I couldn't help but let it stay. 



We got to the race, and before I knew it, it was time to start. We got a pep talk from the coaches, had a huddle, and then the gun went off.

My lungs were really angry with me most of the race. More than anything, that's where I notice the biggest deficit; my cardiovascular fitness.  My body can go faster but my lungs are screaming, "STOP!" As I ran, I sounded like a poorly tuned musical instrument that needed to be put out of it's misery: a trumpet being played by someone with emphysema.  The girls around me were probably wondering what was wrong with me.  "It's okay ladies, just leap over me if I crumple to the ground!"  However, I achieved my goal of improving my time from last week, and took 1:10 off.   I feel like I've discovered a new side to running that is really FUN! I like playing this game.  My official time was 21:48.  The number is getting smaller, and it's feeling better...so, I'm just going to continue to focus on that.  Here's a super picture of our team.  I was going to crop it, but I just couldn't do it.  Some things just need to be left the way they are. Good stuff.



I finished off the day with a long overdue dinner in the company of good friends.  A double feature and a sleepover followed...sans the lingerie pillow fights.  We woke up early this morning for the Spokane Swifts Monster Dash 5k (for adults and kids alike with a Halloween theme).  There's something powerful about being amongst a bunch of badass women in tutus.  We arrived at Manito park at 6:45am to set up, and continued to freeze our a$$es off for the rest of the day but it was worth every shiver.  Amazing day.  Stay tuned for photos on the Swifts website

Adrianne and I ended up being the "sweepers" on the course which worked out well, since I'm quite familiar with pulling up the rear these days.  Here we are out on the course, we asked some spice girls (as in salt, pepper and paprika) who didn't seem to be in a hurry, to take our picture. And for the record, we returned the favor to our photographers by taking their picture as well.



 
I was struck today by how many remarkable, strong, encouraging, positive women I have in my life.  I just want to acknowledge the women I spent the day with today, and all the supportive friends I've been fortunate enough to have in my life along the way.  I'm aware of what a gift it is, and I'm grateful for that.

2 comments:

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

What'd you dress up as?! That would be funny to show up to a 5/10K dressed as a lung. Gross but funny

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

You ladies are giving me my much needed inspiration. All the positive women in your life cascades down-it's a trickel effect. Your picture made me want to be there, reeeaaallll bad. :)