Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gratitude

On this cold Sunday afternoon, I'm sitting in my warm house listening to the giggles of my boys downstairs. I just returned from a trail run with Laura. I can't help but be overwhelmed with a strong sense of gratitude. This post may be a little sappy for some but I thought I'd share.



The racing season is over...as far as triathlons go. It was a season of growth, not in my ability but my spirit. I struggled through a string of disappointing performances and illness. I was finally diagnosed with Lupus a couple of months ago which helped explain why I got mono and why my body wasn't performing the way it "should have". I've probably had it for years but just experienced a "flair up" this Summer. I am taking medication, took some time off and recently started to experience a return to "normalcy" I know this is only temporary and I strongly believe I will be "back to normal" soon. I decided to bag doing the 70.3 World Championship this year and instead I'm training for my first marathon.

I'm embarking on a journey that will bring many changes. I will soon be a single mom, starting school full time and experiencing a huge change in lifestyle. But again, I can't help but feel incredibly grateful. There are so many things I am grateful for on a daily basis, the list is too long to recite. But I thought what I could do from here on out is at the end of each blog post, list one thing that I am grateful for on that particular day. I encourage you to do this as well. In times of stress and what seemed like impending doom, I have found unwavering strength in gratitude. It's amazing what can happen in one's life if they focus on the things that are going well rather than what's not going well. And I speak from experience.

Today, I slept in until 8:30. I am grateful for ibuprofen. I am grateful for sweet boys in pajamas in the morning. I am grateful that my boys still love kisses and snuggles (at least when their friends aren't around). I am grateful for my friend Laura. She showed up at my house at 11:30 and we went for a 2 hour trail run. It rained in the morning but by the time we went out, it was misty and surprisingly warm........and beautiful.

We grabbed some hikers to take our picture. I am grateful for a beautiful place to run and a friend to keep me company.


Here's me running in the enchanted forest. I am grateful for the ability to run, it is my medicine-even if I have to take medicine after I run right now :). I'd be way worse off to not run at all.

I am grateful for all of you, taking the time to read my blog and all the things I babble on about. Thank you for your comments, it's always fun to get a buzz on my blackberry telling me someone has commented. Even if I've never met you! And every day, I'm grateful for hugs. I LOVE hugs.

So, go ahead, try it. Just one thing a day.....I think you're going to find it's hard to pick just one thing.


12 comments:

M-Dot said...

P : ) Glad to see you keeping an always positive way of thinking in a hard to live in world.
We wish you the best of luck and know you have an awesome support system for yourself. Lupus! yuck but, that's the way it goes we all get onething or another. At, least there's treatment and hope. You can be such an inspiration for others with the disease!
We understand the gratitude thing and we too try to do this daily.

Keep the knees up and keep up the hard work. You'll rock Arizona.

M & J

Trish said...

Love the idea of posting things we are grateful for! Life has been totally stressful for me too, and I love that you suggested taking time to focus on the good things when life is rough. I am going to try to do it friend! I miss you and hope to see you sometime soon :) XOXO

Steve said...

I know things have been rough, but I am glad to see you have a positive outlook. Sometimes the best thing to do is step back and look at the big picture.

Though I am 3000 miles away, I do miss the GREAT Pacific Northwest.

Can't wait to run with you soon.

Haley Cooper-Scott said...

But mostly you love monkey hugs, right? La vita e bellissima, no?

Phaedra Cote said...

Coops-you are my one and only monkey-hugger......and I agree, life is beautiful. Did I get the translation right?

Phaedra Cote said...

Coops-you are my one and only monkey-hugger......and I agree, life is beautiful. Did I get the translation right?

Tiffany said...

Great post! I'm happy to see that you are remaining positive through some big life changes. You are right - there are so many things to be grateful for on a daily basis! My cousin-in-law actually has a blog called "Incredibly Grateful" and she ends every post saying what she is grateful for. Pretty cool idea. It's linked on my blog as "Shelly's Blog."

Thanks for sending me the chest-bump today. Right back at ya! ;)

jessithompson said...

Hang in there my little lotus flower. Muck is where the roots are planted...

Josh said...

At one point I my life I was going through something hard, and someone told me a quote.

"When life gives you lemons, throw them at people".

This made me laugh. It in no way applied to what I was going through, but It made me realize to keep a positive attitude and laugh every day. I admire your courage and attitude During these not so ideal situations. Life is not a destination its a journey pure and simple. The good times and hard times are the spices that will add flavor to your life. Keep smiling :).

Jen said...

Incredible post!
You're an amazing mom, friend, and triathlete/soon-to-be marathoner! I can easily say the thing I'm most grateful for is family! Thanks for helping me reflect on such an awesome topic!
Hugs!

Michael W. Bergquist said...

Marathons are tough, but you're tougher. Go get yourself a piece of that finish line. You've worked hard, fought through things that have tried to derail you from your journey, and continue to look to improve. Just remember that marathons are tricky little monsters. They lure you into thinking you can do more than you said you would. Stick to your plan and you're going to do great.

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

I'm grateful for you FLB (funny little buddy)
xoxo,
S