Monday, November 3, 2008

A headcold, 20 miles with Laura, An ice bath and Lasagna

I woke up Sunday morning with some kind of crazy head-cold. I'll spare ya'all the details. It's gross though. Laura brought her daughter Kellie over to sit with the boys while we headed out on a 20 mile run. Lately, I've hit a lot of milestones with Laura by my side. I ran 16 for the first time with her, then 18 and now 20. I have to say, running for this long is torture for me, I enjoy triathlon training a lot more than just straight distance running. But I do understand with Ironman training I'm going to have to do it all.....sigh. Every time Laura and I go on long runs I remind her of how much I appreciate her running with me. One of these times, I need to count how many times I say it during the course of one run. Props to all of you out there who have trained for a marathon by yourself.

Laura and I are running the Vegas marathon in December so it makes sense to train together-not to mention, it's WAY more fun. She mapped our run but forgot to check elevation so the first half of our loop was climb after climb but it was beautiful. I had my phone with me so we snapped a few shots of just how picturesque it is to run 20 miles in Spokane. Every time I go out for a ride or a run, I am reminded of how lucky I am to live and train in such a beautiful place.

Here's me:


And Laura:


After having a long discussion about dog attacks, we were chased by Cujo. On the "to do" list for this week-buy mace. Someone got some good entertainment watching Laura and I trying to scare a dog that weighed as much as the two of us put together. I felt like a bad-ass chihuahua. Or as Hayden would say "chu-chuwawa".

We got back, soaked in ice baths and then headed out looking like bag ladies for some hot lunch. I had hot cocoa and lasagna-nice combo. I'm staying inside today, lookin pretty scary but I don't want to share this illness with anyone. Brutal. Tomorrow is another day.

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

Aren't training buddies the greatest? You're lucky to have someone who runs the same speed as you and who is a good friend on top of all that! Keep up the good work and feel better!

Roger Thompson said...

Nice post. I thought maybe you had forgot your blog address.

Mace works, but just spray any kind of fluid towards a charging dog and they normally will stop. Or, grab the person you are running with and thrust them towards the dog...that makes them look like the aggressor and they take the shot. And if all else fails, and you are all balled up on the ground with a rabid dog biting the shit out of you...just think of the cool stuff you are going to be able to buy with the money from the lawsuit. But before you start spending the money, make sure that the dog has a collar. Otherwise it might be just a bear attack gone bad.

Roger

Molly said...

I'm doing the half at Vegas. Bet you will enjoy the super-flat course!

Careful with chasing dogs! My husband had to undergo rabies shots last year after a dog bit him when we were riding through an indian reservation. You could also try an air horn, or my one friend carries pea gravel in her pockets while running and finds that throwing that is enough to stop a charging dog.

Steve said...

SUPERSTAHHHHH IS BACK!!!

When did you get a new computer? I was sure it must have been broken, since your blogging had absolutely fallen of the face of the web.

Sorry about being sick. I hope you get better soon.

As for dogs, I just try to run faster then them or just make sure you have your running 'buddy' between you and the dog:)

Wish you were coming to Clearwater. We are going to miss you but glad your training is coming back around. Can't wait to see how Vegas goes for you. I know you will rock it.

M-Dot said...

Hey welcome back to blog world!
Sorry it took getting sick to get here.
Glad to see you're back at full strength training. Best of luck in Vegas.
Bet you come back with more fun stories can't wait.

Michelle

Haley Cooper-Scott said...

glad you're on the blogosphere again chica - goopy eyes and all. was i not supposed to share how disgustingly goopy your eyes are with the rest of your readers? i had 22 miles worth of companionless running yesterday (not all at once). i thought about how much fun you and laura must be having. lets do a girls night sometime after AZ, Vegas, Clearwater, etc.

Laura and company said...

Yeah, Haley, I'm sorry you can't run with us, but we are just really a league or two above you. You might be able to keep up for the first half but then you'd just be sucking air. Maybe someday, if you keep working really, really hard! :)

Matt said...

Good to see you computer still works...;) December is coming up keep up the great running! Mace, I prefer to carry a 9..but a little cumbersome on the long runs..

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

I think that the dogs are attacked to Laura. We went for a run (years ago) and had a Rottweiler dart out at us from nowhere (or it could have come from the trailer with the toilet in the front yard. I tried to trip Laura but she was faster than me. Needless to say I haven't run with her much since, and coincidentally haven't been chased by any dogs foaming at the mouth either? Hmmmm....

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

I meant are attracted to Laura...