Monday, June 16, 2008

Blue Lake Club Championship

This was such an incredibly FUN weekend filled with a lot of laughter and a small helping of disappointment. I think the highlight of race day was Laura and I, hiding in the car after the race, laughing and crying simultaneously (it is possible). Crying because we both had less than stellar performances and laughing because-why are we crying? Seriously, pull it together. Not to mention the fact that we were sweaty with crusty noses, matted hair, snot on our shoulders (our aim on those snot rockets still hasn't been perfected) and puffy eyes. We got it out of our systems, were able to laugh at how lame we were and then get over it and move on. My husband left a note in my luggage before I left because I had a rough week and training didn't go so well. The irony is that I didn't find the note until AFTER the race, on the way home. I came to the club championship really excited to represent our team and hopefully contribute. I came away feeling like I let the team down with my poor performance. I do understand that regardless of how I performed, I added value to the team by being there and for that, I am grateful. The quote (by Michael Jordan) that Cody included was so appropriate for the situation (even though he had no idea what the weekend would have in store for me), I thought I'd share:

"I've missed over 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot....and missed. I've failed over and over again in my life. And, that is why I succeed".
Michael Jordan


It's good to know that all this failure will somehow turn into success. I'm just hoping it happens before my body falls apart. So, I will continue to work on failing so that I can succeed. I think I've perfected the failure thing and I'm kind of bored with it but I'll listen to Michael Jordan since he's pretty good at what he does. Once again, I will work towards a solid race next time. Speaking of solid races, there were SO MANY great performances this weekend. Numerous PR's and firsts......I have to give a shout out to my friends who went above and beyond in so many ways.

Here's just part of our club after the race on Sunday.


Laura: my girl....I know you are frustrated with your swim. Way to keep your chin up and celebrate everyone else's victory. We'll get that swim figured out. And, it's summer now so you can really focus on your training. Man, we did have fun though-didn't we?!
Kelli: OHMYGOD! I am so excited for you! What an incredible PR! 20 minutes???? You had an amazing race. I can't wait to cheer you on in CDA! Thanks for all the laughter this weekend, it was really nice to have girl time with you. Haven't laughed that hard in a while.
Jessi: you kicked BUTT! I still am trying to remove this foot print from my ass. Way to push through little sleep AND a big ol' butt cramp.
Steve: my SUPERSTAHHH team mate, NICE, fast, solid race. You represented for the both of us!
Tiffany: way to not only 'survive' your first olympic race but you ROCKED! It was probably the aero-bottle set-up for sure.
Roger: what can I say? You won another one.....it's exciting to see how you are consistently winning EVERYTHING....
A-Dawg: Another great performance....wished I could have spent more time with you. Thanks for being there for me after the race ;)
Eve: Well, it's one for me and one BIG one for you. WOW!! You are insanely fast. I'm so happy you had such a great race. On to Lake Stevens now.
Aaron: I still want to hear how your race went.....loved seeing you there.
Ben: Awesome job on another rockin' race.....I'm looking forward to seeing what you do at IM CDA! You're SO talented.
Tim: It was so fun to watch you kill that sprint distance & get 2nd AG!!! Incredible!
Andrea: First duathlon and 2nd in your AG!! WHAT? Way to stay in your aero bars and rock those new pedals.
Dori: Thanks for coming out to represent our masters even though you're injured and you had to change your weekend around. We are so grateful!!! Thanks also for letting me kidnap you off to dinner with us. It was nice to get to know you a little.
Tia & Steve Rupe: Great job to both of you....thanks also for the Starbucks run when our keys were locked in the car ;) Also, I know you had a sick kiddo which makes everything more challenging and stressful.
Heather Flowers: I know it was a challenging day for you but you made the club proud. Thank you for your sacrifices.
Virginia: AWESOME job! Way to represent the club!
Kirk W-G: You consistently amaze me with your drive and dedication.....you're such an asset to the club. Thanks for working through your injury to be there.
Martin: You old pro, once again-you make the team proud.
Matt: Way to work through stomach issues and still have a great race.
Jay & Michelle: Thanks to both of you for being such team players! You are SO appreciated!
G-man: Way to rock the race and WOW-what a great run. Jeesh! Can't wait to see what you do at Lake Stevens
Sheena: WORD! way to represent!
Mark & Daryce: You guys are a hoot to be around.....and your great attitudes are infectious!
Matt Taylor: You Da-man!

Thanks to Scott Ward, Dave & Tasha Gordon & Jon Moen for coming and racing for the club. I didn't get a chance to talk with you but I know you were there.....

A special thanks to Trish Cudney, Jen Snyder, Jessie Cusack, Andrea Swanson, Eric Byrd and anyone else that was cheering out there. Even though I looked rough on the run, I really appreciated you yelling loud and I know everyone else did too! You went above and beyond to support the club!

I will have to do a whole separate post on the adventures of our weekend. Good times, good times. Below are just a few photos of some of the above mentioned people.

Tim & Andrea Swanson after the sprint on Saturday. They both placed 2nd in their AG!


There were some good tunes playing at the sprint on Saturday so of course a girl has to dance! Steve took this shot of me (& many others) rockin' to the tunes by the porta-potty. I think I'm a bad-ass but really, we all know I'm a total dork.


Me, Kelli, Laura, Michelle, Jay, Tim & Steve in the back....at the sprint on Saturday.


Jay & Michelle Huskinson. Michelle walked the olympic run to finish....and represent the club.


Tiffany & Trish. With my wealth of bike tech knowledge & skill (NOT!), I helped Tiffany set up her aero-bottle the night before the race. This was VERY entertaining to say the least. Trish-your thighs are very strong ;)


Tiffany & Eric Byrd. Tiffany raced her first olympic and Eric was her cheerleader....awe.


The clan at dinner the night before the olympic race. Sheena, Jen, Trish, Laura, Kelli, Dori (behind Tiffany's head), Tiffany & Eric.


Daryce, Kelli, Dori & Laura


Matt & Jessie Cusack, Michelle, Virginia, Jay, Jessa & Ben Greenfield.

Me, Laura & Kelli. The weekend crew. This is the most composed we were all weekend. More on that in the next post.

Trish and I.


At the race, Jessi getting her well-deserved AG award.

Steve (team superstahhh) & I at lunch after the race. Won't explain, you just had to be there.

More in the next post about the weekend with Laura and Kelli.....Thanks girls for making it so memorable. Can't wait for our next adventure!!

13 comments:

Steve said...

Love the quote. It will all come together. It was a blast hangin with you this weekend and thanks for the encouragement out on the course. Can't wait for the race report.

Speaking from experience, races like this defintely make you stronger and more hungry for the next one.

Tiffany said...

Great pics woman! You've got an incredible race coming up soon...I can just FEEL it! :)

And you are right, there is no way I would have even been able to get on my bike without the perfect positioning of my aerobottle! :) Thanks again!

Trish said...

P-

This was SUCH a great post! I love how encouraging you still are to others, even after a not-so-perfect race! That is being a true team player :) It was hard to see you cross the finish line in pain, but remember...pain is just weakness leaving your body. You are so strong and you are going to totally rock your next race!

I LOVE the picture of us and think we both look smokin' hot! (And by the way, thanks for calling my thighs strong...that's every girls dream to be known as the girl with strong thighs!) I am so glad that we got to hang out some this weekend and I can't WAIT for Lake Stevens! Plus, I was TOTALLY rocking out to the tunes at the race too, so we should get together and teach each other some dance moves! Just think about it...

xoxo,
T-Diddy

P.S. I didn't know you and Steve-O knew Mary Katherine Gallager!?!

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

What a blast. I can honestly say that peeing my pants has never been so much fun! And remember it's not a gopher but a prairie dog!

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

P-
I love this post. It just confirms why I love you so much.
After talking to you, it sounds like you may have experienced a run from my perspective-a virtual human speed bump out on the course-having all the time in the world to say hello to EVERYONE, runners and spectators alike! Sometimes I find myself sayig "hi" to people more than once cuz I say "hi" from a distance and then it takes me so long to get to them, I feel like I have to say "hi" again.
Okay, not entirely true for you. You were still going WAY faster than I will ever run but I know it was frustrating for you.
I'm stoked you never lose sight of your sense of humour, what's important and what's fun about this goofy sport!
Besides, Steve is right. With your personality, if it was easy, you'd be bored in no time. It's challenges like this that keep you interested, I know you! This is just the Universe's way of tapping into your ADD :)
It's all good and all part of the process. Worst case scenario: You have an excuse to have an extra shot of whiskey at the end of the race-not that you need one...
Can't WAIT to see you, for reals, its coming soon!
Love, Ch

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

P-
I love this post. It just confirms why I love you so much.
After talking to you, it sounds like you may have experienced a run from my perspective-a virtual human speed bump out on the course-having all the time in the world to say hello to EVERYONE, runners and spectators alike! Sometimes I find myself sayig "hi" to people more than once cuz I say "hi" from a distance and then it takes me so long to get to them, I feel like I have to say "hi" again.
Okay, not entirely true for you. You were still going WAY faster than I will ever run but I know it was frustrating for you.
I'm stoked you never lose sight of your sense of humour, what's important and what's fun about this goofy sport!
Besides, Steve is right. With your personality, if it was easy, you'd be bored in no time. It's challenges like this that keep you interested, I know you! This is just the Universe's way of tapping into your ADD :)
It's all good and all part of the process. Worst case scenario: You have an excuse to have an extra shot of whiskey at the end of the race-not that you need one...
Can't WAIT to see you, for reals, its coming soon!
Love, Ch

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

oh, looky there, it posted twice. Feel free to erase one of those :)

jessithompson said...

Hang in there, P. Diddy. I know it's frustrating not to pull it all together when and how you want - been there for sure. Just know you have the drive and talent to pull off some killer runs. Don't forget to celebrate that awesome swim and bike. You were rockin' it for sure.

Your performance benefited the team as well as your support for everyone else. I was impressed at how you rallied even in the midst of your own disappointment.

You are top notch! XOXO

Laura and company said...

Swimming slowly is NOT fun, it is crappy. Biking slowly is NOT fun, it is crappy. Running slowly is NOT fun, it is crappy. But this was truly the funnest crappy weekend I've had in a long time. Next year we'll redeem ourselves. Any by the way, speak for yourself on the snot rockets, baby. That is the 4th discipline for me and I am an elite snot rocketeer. Just ask the guy I landed one on as he passed me on the bike. Pass me, WILL you? Not without taking a piece of me along for the ride.

M-Dot said...

Phaedra;
Thank you for including Jay and I in your post and thank you for staying for me when I had to walk in. and you cheering me in and setting up for my photo. I appreciate all that everyone did for me. It makes you feel incredible.
I understand about a crappy race but like jay told me. " Look at it this way next year you have no worries about pring this one" you have the same thing on the run you'll own it for Sure. P you rock! you and Jessie are amazing athletes you in no means let this team down.
It is so awesome to be on a team that is out there and each one of us has our struggles but we high5 or cheer or yell or grunt something at one another. unlike another club that was there that is a local team. I constantly was trying to encourage them and they not once acknowledged me.
That's why I do not belong to that club.
We are Tri-Fusion The best Club in The NW and we represent everything good about our sport in the right way! Be proud hold your head up high! You will kick ass the next race it's yours Lake Stevens is Calling you Home Phaedra she's waiting and in your heart you know it!

Michelle and Jay

klairep said...

What a fun weekend Jim and I missed out on. I am hoping that we will be able to join you all next year. By the way, I have been reading your posts for a few months now, and I gotta tell you, your positive attitude towards everything in life is such an inspiration. And for someone that is terrified of her first race, your posts are so encouraging for me to read. They make me feel like no matter what happens out there on the course, just trying to finish my first race is going to make me a stronger person.(I can't wait to say "I did it!") So thanks for the inspiration. I am looking forward to seeing your smiling face out at Liberty Lake. ( I've heard you at the swim meets, and I know if I don't see you, I will hear you!!)

Michael W. Bergquist said...

I find myself wondering how you turn a bad race into a fun report. Your pictures are entertaining, as usual. I enjoyed reading your tidbits on the other racers. Will you be at Trailblazer this week?

Roger Thompson said...

Frayda,

I can't believe I have just read your post... where have I been? I have obviously heard your account already. And you don't need another person telling you to 'stick with it, you get through this,' or 'hang in there, you are so talented.' Not that those statements don't have value, because they do. They show that people believe in you and support you.

However, often those statements are simply crack for the soul. A short 'feel good' that puts a smile on your face for the short term, but then you feel like crap later because you dwell on something that bewilders you, and everyone else. I call this a sucky time. I don't know if that is the clinical term, but I think anyone that goes hrough this understands it. It's the feeling you get when you bust your ass, train hard, make sacrafices, prepare for your 'A' race like you should, and then underperform based on what 'you' wanted to do.

There really is not 'quick fix,' only time to refelct on yourself. You often question what's going on, and why this is happening. But keeping a positive attitude (toughest part really) and surrounding yourself with people who love the sport for what it is (which you do) helps out a great deal. It helps to take your mind off the tough times, and allows you to share in the excitement and energy that others are feeling... the same excitement and energy that you once had. These are the times that you realize 'why' you do this. You will know why, and possibly change that reason after some deeper personal reflection. But as I often say, 'Bottom Line' is that you add so much to people's lives in triathlon. You provide such a great spirit and energy. Don't let this 'sucky time' ruin who you are. It too shall pass.