Monday, June 2, 2008

Post Race Playtime

Before you go on to look at these pictures, I'd like to share my opinion on training and racing and how those relate to playing. I train hard, take it very seriously and follow a pretty strict, pre-race regimen. My attitude is, after I finish, I allow myself to let loose, have some fun but once Monday rolls around it's time to hunker down.

Rachael and Katherine were game for anything and I had a blast playing with these two gals. Rachael is injured and was under strict orders to DNF after the bike but still managed to produce some incredible results for the swim and the bike. Click on her name to read her race report. While you're at it, check out the rest of her blog too, she's freakin' hilarious.

After Katherine's stellar performance, 1st in AG and 5th overall.....I thought it was only appropriate to do a post-race shot. Katherine had never had a shot in her life. Here I go, corrupting another. Here we are, pre-shot. I can see just a bit of fear and hesitation on Katherine's face.

Post-shot. I LOVE this picture.


Me on the left, Rachael in the middle and Katherine on the right. Love the facial expressions but I do have to point out that Katherine didn't quite finish her shot. Rachael and I emptied ours. We cut Katherine slack since we still had to head over to awards....and she'd have to walk up on stage and collect some bowls (they give out wooden bowls instead of trophies and she got TWO).

Here we are at awards. From left to right: Paul (from Lifesport, he coaches Rachael), me, Katherine and Rachael. Paul had some great pre-race tips that he shared at dinner the night before. Thanks Paul!


Speak no, Hear no, See no evil.


And of course, it wouldn't be complete without a picture of me with a World Champion on my lap. I decided to go black and white with this photo mostly because my face was so red.


The story is, I wanted to get a picture with Chris McCormack. I had to assure him he wouldn't squash me before he'd sit down on my lap. How often do you get a world champ in your lap? And, because I'm all about a good photo and this is way more original than the standard pose. To see other pics of him and other athletes I admire in action, check out my Gallery.

I had to get a picture of me with the tri-goddesses I spent my weekend with. Their legs are longer than my whole body! They are both incredibly talented, humble and FUN! Thanks girls, for a great weekend and tremendous inspiration. I am blown away by your ability. I'm not sure what I'm doing with that beer bottle. I think I felt like a Geisha among......non-geisha's.

After this photo was taken, the girls headed off to the airport and I was once again alone in Hawaii. I grabbed my camera and headed to the beach to take some pictures. Below are just a few.




After that, I walked over to the nearby shopping center to eat dinner at Tommy Bahama's. I ended up running into some folks we sat with at awards and joined them for dinner. After that, I walked back to the hotel and went to bed.

I woke up early the next morning and went to breakfast, joining my new friend Penny. Penny is 68 and lives on Oahu. She qualified for Kona and will be competing in October. I enjoyed her company and zest for life!

After that, I packed up my bike and then went to go hang out at the beach in my bikini until 7pm. Below are a few of the photos I took on Sunday.





The airport shuttle picked me up from the hotel at 7pm and I took the red eye home. I landed in Spokane at 8am this morning.

6 comments:

rr said...

I think Macca on your lap might be one of the best pictures I've ever taken in my life! So awesome. The post-shot photo is pretty great too.

Great race report, you were awesome! And I had so much fun.. COME TO KONA IN OCT!

Penny needs you ;)

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

I think Macca's new nick name should be "Mickey"-cuz the look on your face reminds me of a 5 year old meeting her favorite Disney character for the first time! GREAT photos and of course the "Mickey" one is my personal favorite as well. What I wouldn't do to be his pool buoy!
Totally late for work but can't wait to actually read the report...

Steve said...

Train hard play hard, gotta love the motto. Is there really a better place to be than Hawaii after a race. I know Boise is near the top, but come on it is freaking Hawaii. Great pics.

jessithompson said...

Hard to say which pic I like more... the one of Macca on your lap or the one of all you babes laughing your asses off after the shot. Great pics! Way to live a little after all the hard work! Rachel confessed that you drank them all under the table - atta girl!

Tiffany said...

Ok, I have to say the best picture is the one of you, Rachel, and Katherine all standing up. You are so freakin' cute! I loved your analogy of a prairie dog among gazelles. I was laughing out loud.

I'm so happy that you take a minute to "play hard" after your races. You are SO right, you have totally earned it!

Begin to Breathe said...

okay...so how many shots had to done before that picture with you and your friend, "the bottle". You look like your scheming something big!!
Oh...and I was just at Disneyland yesterday...not one Character there measured up to "Mickey". Kinda makes up for the almost drowning and flat mis-hap.
congrats on a stellar run!

xoxo
jessica