Monday, June 9, 2008

Fire up the grill again.....


Tonight we had grilled chicken and pineapple with cilantro-lime rice. Ingredients and recipe below:

Pineapple & Cilantro Chicken
  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 5 limes, juiced (approx 3/4 cup)
  • 1 bunch cilantro-finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup warmed honey
  • 1 Corona Beer
  • 1 16 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a 13x9 baking dish, add chicken and marinade for 3-4 hours or more. Grill until done (approx 15 minutes). When serving, slice avocados and lay on top of chicken.


Cilantro-lime Rice

  • 2 cups white rice (I prefer a shorter grain white rice-it makes the best sticky rice and works better for leftovers as it does not dry out)
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic (seeing a pattern here?)
  • 2 tsp Tabasco brand green pepper sauce
  • fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
Here's when I'm going to sell you on owning a rice cooker. Because I don't eat wheat, I always have sticky rice in the fridge. It's my bread. A rice cooker makes recipes like these, brainless. Add all ingredients in rice cooker and press "start". The rice can sit on "warm" while you grill the chicken. If you don't have a rice cooker....you're on your own. Get one.


Grilled Pineapple

Cut off top and bottom of pineapple and then cut skin off of outside. Lay pineapple down and cut into 2 inch slices. Grill 5 minutes per side. This needs no marinade. It's delicious.

Throw it all together and we've got dinner! The hardest job of this whole meal is juicing the limes. It's a pain in the butt however, DO NOT use "pre-squeezed lime juice". NO NO NO. There is absolutely no comparison. What I often do is, squeeze a bunch of limes and keep the juice in the fridge. It keeps well. For those of you who have eaten in my home, you know I make A LOT of food but leftovers are my favorite. This is a great recipe for leftovers. I had a busy day so I didn't make a salad. A green salad with a light, citrus dressing would go well with this. I'll work on that recipe :)


7 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Your meal looks terrific. As a novice cook I think I will start with the Corona and work up from there.

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

Show off! Actually thank you for doing this. My husband is defiantly the cook in the family, so my plan is to steal your recipes and pass them off as my own and impress the hell out of him. Of course the Corona I can handle all on my own.

Thanks master chef.

Kelli

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

Your blog makes me eat, a lot. Only what I eat looks NOTHING like this yummy stuff!
I want to try all of this when I get there! Well, except the filet. I'm assuming the weather is nice if the pool is open and the grill is on...yeah!

jessithompson said...

OMG this is amazing. You are a genius. I can't believe you come up with this stuff on your own. Thanks for sharing - you're one bad ass chef.

Ali Ty Stitt said...

YUM! guess who is going to try this! thanks for sharing!

Matt said...

YUmmy. what time is dinner tonight?,,

Laura and company said...

For any doubters, consider this: I often eat dinner at P's then go home and make whatever we ate at her house until my family begs me for something else. Usually at least 7 nights. Phaedra, post your idea for chicken, mozzarella, and mango chutney sandwiches. I know you don't eat wheat or dairy anymore, but most of us do. That's one that I choose when I am standing in the grocery store at 5 pm on a weeknight wondering what in the HELL we are going to eat for dinner that night. It's way easy and way yummy.