Monday, June 2, 2008

Getting to Hawaii

So, after getting in my masters swim on Wednesday morning and then getting the boys off to school, Cody took me to the airport for my 11:30 am flight to Kona. I need to point out that my sweet husband packed up my bike and was "super dad" while I was off racing in Hawaii. I am so grateful for his support and what a great dad he is. Obviously, without him I would be unable to do these races. I never have to worry about the boys when I'm gone because I know they'll have a blast while I'm gone. And, like always, they did.

After our monster roadtrip to Wildflower and the leg heaviness that ensued, I decided to try compression tights on the plane. I wore these full tights under my velour, juicy sweatpants. This wardrobe information is relevant....more on that later.

I got all checked in and was off to connect in Seattle. After hitting the fish taco spot in the Seattle airport and picking up a book to read at Borders, I was walking through the airport with my backpack on. I noticed that it seemed like a lot of people were staring at me. Do I look that cool? As I walked by an older gentleman with eyes as big as saucers I felt an odd sensation and looked down to catch my velour pants as they were making their way past my knees. NICE. I said something out loud about velour and spandex not being a good combination only to get NO response from the surrounding onlookers. Another classic, Phaedra moment.

The rest of my trip to Kona was uneventful and thankfully, I didn't loose any more clothes. I got into my hotel room at around 9pm. Ah, Hawaii. I unpacked and put my bike together and got into bed around 11pm (that's 2am Spokane time).

I woke up bright and early on Thursday morning, went for a run, got some breakfast, walked to Starbucks and made my way over the the spa for an incredible massage. Here's me, "pre-massage" wearing my spa uniform. I look so well behaved.

After my massage, I went out for a short ride and got registered. I ended up hanging out in my room and ordering room service for dinner and watching "Fools Gold" on tv. Pretty uneventful.

Friday morning started much like Thursday morning and then I headed out for a run that felt great (which was a good sign, no leg heaviness....maybe there is something to these compression tights). After that, I got a short ride in and was pummeled by the wind. I knew there was a very good possibility the wind was going to be brutal on race day. Tough conditions-good experience.

Former Spokane resident, Rick Rubio picked me up at the hotel (thanks Rick!) and we headed over to Hapuna to check our bikes in and go for a short swim in the choppy water.....and yes, the wind was blowing and the current was evident.

After we swam, I found Rachael and Katherine in their bathing suits putting their bikes together.....I think the only reason there weren't a swarm of men around them was because they were hidden off in a secluded spot. I felt like a prairie dog surrounded by gazelles. We ended up meeting for dinner at around 4pm and Paul (Rachaels coach from Lifesport) joined us a little later. It was a relaxing pre-race dinner and I was grateful for the company and all the great information they shared with me. Thanks guys! 3 hours later, I headed back to my room.

4am rolled around quite quickly after waking up a few times to hear the wind howling outside.

3 comments:

Steve said...

I would have definitely been laughing my ass off watching you walk down the terminal with your pants around your knees. Freakin hilarious. Good idea about the tights though, do you really think they helped?

jessithompson said...

Very funny!!! You look so darn cute in your little spa kimono (and about 12 years old :). Glad you made it over there safely.

Begin to Breathe said...

That is the funniest thing I have heard (or visulaized) in a while. What a great add for Juicy. "Everyone's eyes will be on you in this fabulous velour sweatsuit. And yes...wearing the pants lowered right about the knees will WOW friends, family and strange old men!" Maybe we'll see you on UTUBE?!?